Windows Vista Spyware and Malware

By Onuora . . .

Before I begin, here are some definitions:

Spyware: This is software that secretly gathers information about a user while he/she navigates the Internet. This information is normally used for advertising purposes. Spyware can also gather information about email addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.

Malware: Short for malicious software, a program or file that is designed to specifically damage or disrupt a system, such as a virus, worm, or a Trojan horse.

Good. Let's begin

Let me start off by saying I am really really pissed off. I talked (on this site) about the fact that I had never seen any types of spyware get through on my Windows Vista system. Maybe I got lucky but all that came to an end three days ago.

I caught a bad piece of Malware and I have to tell you about this because it was NASTY.

I go to tons of websites every day as I continue to do research to bring you fresh content. On this day I was distracted, went to a site I shouldn't have and then ended up hitting yes to install a file.

Yes I was a dumbass. Yes I should have know better. Yes that sounds ridiculous. Yes I should have know better.

I know.

That was the beginning of hell.

I had inadvertently downloaded the Antispyware-reviews.biz hijacker.

What is it?

Antispyware-reviews.biz is a browser hijacker that was designed to sell rogue anti-spyware products (such as PcAntiSpyware).

Antispyware-reviews.biz may slow your computer and decrease internet connection speed. It can secretly install dangerous spyware applications to steal private data and track keystrokes. Antispyware-reviews.biz hijacker may also come bundled with other applications.

What's some of the typical behaviour of this bastard?

  • Antispyware-reviews.biz may show popups
  • Antispyware-reviews.biz may secretly install spyware programs
  • Antispyware-reviews.biz may be difficult to remove
  • Antispyware-reviews.biz may recreate itself
  • Antispyware-reviews.biz may slow your PC

It started showing me popups every twenty minutes, telling me that that I had an infection and opening a browser encouraging me to buy PC-Antispyware and PC-Cleaner.

Even worse, it was interrupting my wireless connection, slowing it down and disabling it every 30 minutes.

Here's a screenshot of the browser window this bastard thing shows...

Antispyware-reviews.biz

Folks, this crap gets old FAST.

I downloaded 10 different sets of antispyware/antimalware tools from download.com and tried em all. To cut a very long story short, here's what worked for me. I used a combo of three tools to eventually find and kill this threat.

I am so relieved to be free of this pest, I had to write and tell you guys ASAP.

Here are the tools I installed that worked for me:

  1. Spybot S&D
  2. Spyware Doctor
  3. Threatfire

Those three combined wiped the malware out. I just had to tell you about this one because it was that bad. Make sure you have your firewall on and becareful about what you download on the web. Windows Vista can help but it's ultimately up to you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Download Windows Vista logos, DVD labels, box covers and product bowshots

Intel Windows Vista Driver

Intel Driver Windows Vista